Episode 72: Going There
with Jen Vertanen
Jen Vertanen is a coach, mentor, speaker, and writer. She also plays the role of Mama Bear when it comes to protecting her family, a trait she developed when she was just eight years old while living in an emotionally abusive household. Because of her own experience, she knows exactly what it’s like to not have someone to confide to, and encourages people to share the hard stories so they can heal the places that hurt. She has since built a career that lets people open up about their emotional needs and help them fill the void in their hearts.
In today’s episode, Jen shares her heartbreaking story and how she eventually found her way out of the dark place was she was in. She talks about what it’s like to feel trapped and helpless, and to put a mask on when she’s out with people. She also gives inspiring tips and sound advice on how to overcome some of life’s most painful moments.
“I refuse to be this vital person on the outside and dead on the inside. It’s not fair to anyone, let alone myself.” – Jen Vertanen
On Today’s Episode of A Healthy Curiosity:
- Her story and how she became a nurturing person.
- What’s the Mama Bear archetype?
- How you can use different archetypes in real life.
- What’s it like to finally address unmet emotional needs?
- How she managed to improve her social life.
- What is “hermiting” and how did she “hide” herself during her marriage?
- How does she check for motivation?
- What happens when you share the hard stories?
- Her tip for those who want to bring in the self-mothering energy.
- Saying yes to positive moments and getting out of your comfort zone will significantly improve your life.
- It’s better to feel anything at all, than feel dead.
- You can find evidence that you’re a good person and evidence that you’re a bad person. It all boils down to which you use to define yourself.
Connect with Jen Vertanen:
The Basics of Chinese Medicine Course
Learn how to align your lifestyle and diet with daily and seasonal rhythms so you can digest better, have more energy, and stay healthy! Enroll in our 8-week course – The Basics of Chinese Medicine: Your Inner Ecosystem to learn how to analyze and align your lifestyle and diet, identify which of the Five Elements are dominating you, and rebalance the systems in your body so you can achieve your health goals.
When you enroll, you’ll receive:
- 20-30 minute audio lectures you can listen to whenever and wherever
- Highlighted transcripts of each lecture
- Point location reference sheet
- Short, point location videos
- Fun quizlets, reflection questions, and exercises
- Group call opportunities to get your questions answered
- Access to our private Facebook community
Share Your Healthy Curiosity
Thank you for joining me on today’s episode of A Healthy Curiosity, the podcast that explores what it takes to be well in today’s busy world with healthcare strategies through Chinese medicine. If you enjoyed today’s episode, please head over to iTunes and subscribe to the show. Share your favorite episodes with your friends on social media to help us spread the word and help more people achieve optimal health throughout their busy lives.
Yay! You passed the 1-minute test!
If you like what you're reading, subscribe to get my latest self-care advice by email a couple of times a month.