Episode 42: Taming Your Inner Critic
with Catherine Polan Orzech, MA, LMFT
When you talk to yourself (which, let’s face it, we all do), are you kind?
Do you speak to yourself like you would speak to a friend, or do you have a tendency to resort to name calling? Do you use words like stupid, lazy, or failure?
In Episode 42, Brodie talks with Catherine Polan Orzech, MA, LMFT, about mindful self-compassion. Many people, and especially Type As (you know who you are), treat themselves more harshly than they would ever want to (or dare to) treat a friend. Catherine wants you to take a lesson out of your own friendship book and turn that treatment inwards to promote peace and compassion within ourselves.
In this episode, we explore:
- What is mindful self-compassion?
- What is the inner critic? What effect does it have on our overall well being?
- Does our inner critic affect our physical health?
- Speaking sweetly to ourselves
- How stopping to notice a moment can spur lasting change