Episode 209: Is Addiction a Disease?
with Michelle Dunbar
In a time when a lot of us are dealing with strong, difficult emotions, it can be easy to slip into bad patterns to try and cope and these patterns can spiral to harmful levels and addiction. On top of that, some of the most popular addiction treatments often end up reinforcing the idea that someone’s identity is “addict” which only serves to feed the pattern.
Michelle Dunbar has a different way of looking at addiction. Through the framework she helped to develop, Michelle and her team empower people struggling with addiction to change the trajectory of their lives rather than giving the power to substances and bad habits.
On Today’s Episode of A Healthy Curiosity:
- What addiction means in the context of Michelle’s work
- How her own experiences and those of other family members led her toward the framework she developed
- The three distinct components of The Freedom Model
- Why she says the opposite of addiction is diversification
- What has surprised her along her career of helping people with addiction
Michelle Dunbar is the co-author of The Freedom Model for Addictions: Escape the Treatment and Recovery Trap and The Freedom Model for the Family. She is also Executive Director of Baldwin Research Institute, Inc., and The Saint Jude Retreats, not-for-profit research organizations with the mission to change the way people with substance use problems are helped worldwide. Michelle has been helping people move beyond addiction for over 30 years.
Connect With Michelle Dunbar:
Let's stay in touch.
Self-care strategy and Chinese Medicine tips will arrive in your inbox delightfully infrequently.