Episode 68: Yoga Therapy for Mental Health
with Tzipporah Gerson-Miller
Tzipporah Gerson-Miller is the owner of Inner Sky Therapeutics, a certified yoga therapist, and a licensed psychotherapist who specializes in cases of trauma, depression, anxiety, and chronic pain. In her practice, she uses somatic psychotherapy – an alternative treatment focused on body-centered therapy that links the mind and the body – and integrative yoga. While she does conduct group activities, her practice is more than the usual yoga class. In yoga classes, people go to relax and release stress. What Tzipporah does is more personal and customized to the individual and aims to treat the patient of something that’s bothering their mind that could be causing their physical pains.
In today’s episode, Tzipporah shares her passion for yoga, its holistic roots, and how her methods are different from typical yoga classes. She explains the importance of revisiting traumatic events and the people who could benefit the most in one of her sessions.
“Enlightenment can be achieved, even in the most deplorable social situation.” – Tzipporah Gerson-Miller
On Today’s Episode of A Healthy Curiosity:
- Is a Yoga therapy group different from a Yoga class?
- Who benefits the most from her work?
- How can Yoga help people overcome trauma?
- The forms trauma can take in our lives.
- How to re-pattern trauma with others?
- Using a Tantra Hatha yoga approach.
- What would be the first step in the ability to cultivate awareness of a person’s own body?
- Tips on remembering traumatic experiences in the presence of loved ones.
- The value in feeling the bad stuff in our lives?
- Yoga isn’t doing inversions and tricky balances.
- Trauma is not just the things we see on the 5 o’clock news.