Episode 168: Yin and Yang of Power
with Brodie Welch, L.Ac.
Power is multidimensional. It has both yin and yang aspects, each of which support and amplify the other. If we want to feel more powerful and reinforce that feeling for those around us, it starts with embodying self-respect.
How we take care of ourselves is at the root of our power of presence and the energy that we show up with in the world. And the ramifications transcend each of us as individuals: in having the self-respect to live from the inside out, we’re doing our part to normalize this way of being. It also ensures that we have the energy to show up to face the challenges facing our families, society, and planet, and gives us the bandwidth to show up for the people in our lives with presence.
Far from being an indulgence, caring for ourselves is actually “a radical act of political warfare,” a stand against patriarchy and capitalism, as Audre Lorde put it.
On Today’s Solo Episode of A Healthy Curiosity:
- The yang aspect of power and privilege: power over
- The yin aspect of power: power from within
- The feedback loop between how we take care of ourselves and how self-possessed we feel
- How aligning outward actions with inward values boosts our power
- The importance of your environment in amplifying your power